Dandruff is a kind of skin disorder of the scalp. This occurs due to growth of bacteria and fungus on the scalp, and it is an infectious condition. It causes itchiness along with excessive formation of dry skin flakes on the scalp.
Dandruff can be controlled by following healthy hair care routine. However, it can even be controlled with easy to follow natural remedies. It is true that natural remedies take time to show results but they can effectively treat the problem completely.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dandruff.
1. Indian Lilac
The antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties of Indian lilac, also known as neem, help to treat dandruff as well as many other hair problems like scalp acne, itchy scalp, and hair fall efficiently.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in four cups of water.
- Cool and strain the solution.
- Use this decoction as a hair rinse twice or three times a week.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil helps eliminate dandruff due to its anti-fungal properties. It also moisturizes dry scalp and provides relief from itching.
- Take some coconut oil and mix half the amount of lemon juice in it.
- Rub it on your scalp and massage for a few minutes.
- Wash your hair after at least 20 minutes.
- Follow this remedy two to three times a week.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Scalp treatment with apple cider vinegar is effective in getting rid of dandruff. It restores the pH balance of the scalp, thereby inhibiting the growth of yeast. It also helps works a natural clarifier and helps clean clogged pores and hair follicles.
- Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Add an equal amount of water and 15-20 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Apply it onto your scalp and massage. Rinse your hair after a few minutes.
- Follow this natural treatment twice or three times a week.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda can help reduce the overactive fungi that causes dandruff. With repeated use, it also helps restore production of natural oils that keep your scalp from becoming dry and flaky.
- Wet your hair and rub some baking soda onto your scalp. After some time, rinse your hair well with water. Do not shampoo your hair for a while after this treatment.
- Alternatively, you can add some baking soda to your shampoo when you wash your hair.
5. White Vinegar
White vinegar is one of the best home treatments for dandruff. Vinegar has acetic acid that prevents growth of bacteria and fungi on your scalp.
- Mix one part vinegar with three parts water. Use the mixture to wash your hair and then rinse it out with water.
- You can also apply vinegar directly onto your hair, wrap it with a towel and leave it on overnight. In the morning, wash your hair.
6. Olive Oil
Scalp dryness can be cured with regular use of extra virgin olive oil, an effective natural moisturizer.
- Simply heat some extra virgin olive oil until it is slightly warm. Massage it onto your scalp and then wrap your hair in a towel for half an hour.
- Brush your hair thoroughly to remove the dry flakes and then wash your hair.
7. Fenugreek Seeds
The herb fenugreek has antifungal and soothing properties that can help control dandruff to a great extent.
- Soak some fenugreek seeds in water overnight. In the morning, grind them into a fine paste.
- Apply the paste all over your scalp and leave it in for a few hours. Then wash your hair well with a mild shampoo. After rinsing out the shampoo, use the water in which you soaked the seeds as a final rinse.
- Do this twice a week in cases of severe dandruff.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has antibacterial and antifungal properties that can help combat dandruff.
- Apply fresh aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel to your hair just a few minutes before taking a shower. Then wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this remedy at least twice a day.
Thyme has both antiseptic and antifungal properties that help treat dandruff.
- Mix four tablespoons of dried thyme in two cups of water and boil it for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain the solution and allow it to cool down.
- Massage some of the solution onto your scalp thoroughly. Let it soak in for five minutes then repeat the process a second time.
- Wait at least two to three hours before washing your hair.
Aspirin contains acetylsalicylic acid that can help control dandruff.
- Crush two aspirins to a fine powder and mix it with an equal amount of shampoo. Wash your hair with the mixture, massaging it onto your scalp. Leave it in for a few minutes and then rinse your hair well.
- Alternatively, crush three aspirins and dissolve the powder in one tablespoon of vinegar. Massage the mixture into your scalp. Leave it in for half an hour and then wash your hair thoroughly.